Thursday 26 April 2012

My Husband is a good man

Assalam 'aleykum people,

Today, like most days, I had a long and eventful day however someone made it a bit more special than usual. Well, I had a meeting earlier (and no, it's not the meeting you're thinking of *rolls eyes*) let's say a work/study meeting with a young (muslim) girl of Bengladeshi origin.

We sat down in the nearby cafeteria and began talking about various things. Out of the blue, the sister mentioned that she is married (she's 21 yrs old) so I sympathetically expressed my happiness and sort-of congratulated her. She seemed happy. We carried on our conversation which was, by that time, interupted by some unconsiderate young men who were shouting around *very annoying*.
Once the cafeteria had regained its quietness, the sister whispered a sentence that made me smile from my heart. She said: 'my husband is a good man' in such a genuine and honest way that everyone would just go 'aww'. A simple sentence which implicated a huge meaning.

It triggered me into thinking about the issue (little things tend to make me think a lot). You know, the way you deal with people leave a mark on them so much so that they begin to talk about you to others (in goodness) without you having a clue about it. I mean, we don't hear this sentence much amongst married women. In fact, usually we hear 'my husband doesn't know this.. or that' 'my husband can't do this ..or that'. All things negative. Indeed wasn't it the Prophet 'aleihi salaam who said that women would outnumber men in the Fire of Hell, one of the reasons being 'because they deny the favours of their husbands'? Yes, that is the case.



Ladies, let's learn how to appreciate little things. I could sense the happiness radiating from the sister today (may Allaah increase it for her). In case you're thinking, 'oh that's because she's newly married' then you're wrong. If you're thinking: 'oh that's because she had a love marriage' then you're wrong again! The sister had an arranged marriage and has been married for over a year -may Allaah increase it for her-.
Happiness is in acknowledging and appreciating the little daily things about your partner, it's in being patient with their shortcomings, it's in thanking them and making supplications on their behalf. Happiness in marriage is remembering the other even though they're not around. (these are some of my theoreotical hypotheses from today)

She (expectedly) asked me whether I was married to which I replied in the negative.
She smiled and further interrogated me: 'oh, you have a boyfriend?'  -
Now that question surprised me but I didn't take it offensively (good mood) but a very off-side question to ask a muslima who looks like one (outwardly at least).
I giggled: 'haha, boyfriend? God forbid!'.
 I found out that laughing/giggling things off help a lot during awkward/weird/embarassing moments, it diverts attention but the sister was quite insistant in her interrogation. Perhaps I should've have laughed a bit more? Maybe, maybe not.

Finally, let me end with the words that have been ringing in my head this afternoon:

'My husband is a good man' - simple sentence, simple words, big meaning.

Ma'salaam






5 comments:

  1. A much needed lesson sis.. JazakAllahu Khair

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jazak Allah Khair ...I really enjoyed to read this mashallah

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hope this blogs for everybody (brother and sister ) am just asking because it might be only for our sister

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wa iyaka. Yes it is open for everyone inshallah

    ReplyDelete