Wednesday 15 September 2010

What is Zawaj?

Bismilaahi-Rahmani-Raheem,

Assalam 'Aleikum waRahmatulaah,

I'd like in my first post to share some thoughts about 'zawaj'; and while I'm at it let me clarify a little point: This blog isn't really about us in particular although we might feel the need to share some experiences, rather let this be a means of discussing this topic from all sides. Ready? Go!

Where to start? Let me tell u what I've observed..
For these last couple of years, I have realised that the Muslim community here in the UK has transformed itself almost like a metamorphosis. It is by the Grace of Allaah [swt] that many many young people and elder ones too have been coming back to the religion and have been showing their attachment towards it. As a direct result, young people have expressed their desire to get married and fulfill their natural requirements I guess. Yaaaay!! :-D

It's praiseworthy and it makes me happy to see young people wanting to complete their 'deen'. However, it seems as though sometimes, there's a little *hic*. Marriage doesn't come easy and for some it becomes almost an utopia. And between the religion, the culture, the family and the society.. to be honest you've enough to be put off for a while! Argh.. I'm out!

For a long time, I didn't really bother thinking too much about this whole zawajesque concept and I struggled to understand my friends when they'd talk about 'marriage'..
'Are you serious?!' I would say with a raised-eyebrow  o_o

 Especially because most girls tend to have this dreamy weirdish idea of marriage -Yes, even me- so, it made me cringe and I'd brush it off quickly. 'So, erm what's the weather like..'?

However lately, I've put deep thoughts into it and maybe I've come to realise what it really means to 'zawaj'. To 'zawaj' is not just to 'marry' I think as Muslims, we need to remember that Marriage is considered as 'ibaadah so automatically it changes your perspective right?
Who would refuse easy hassanats? Oh.. maybe not so easy actually.
 Marriage in Islam is more than just a marriage, inshallaah we'll discuss this later on.

Well actually, it's not a secret that one of my fav. verses in the Qur'aan is the following:
“And among his signs is this, that he created for you mates from among yourselves, that ye may dwell in tranquility with them, and he has put love & mercy between your hearts: verily in that are signs for those who reflect.” (Surah Rum, v21)
^This ayaah just summarises beautifully the purpose of Zawaj in itself..

Now, how we get to that stage? What are the steps to take? How do we deal with family pressure? Society expectations? What are we doing wrong these days and why is the divorce rate so high amongst Muslims? Inshallaah, we'll have a look at all these and more but until then.. Take care!

UmmZaid

No comments:

Post a Comment